Preparing Your Home to Sell
by: Marilee Inman
Are you thinking about selling your home?
If you are thinking of selling your home in Salt Lake/Davis/Weber County you have probably heard that homes are selling extremely fast and for more than the listing price. This is all true, but there are still things you should think about doing if you are serious about selling your home and serious about getting top dollar! Below are 6 things you can do now to prepare your home to sell and to net the highest price in today’s market.
- Declutter and donate: Start the decluttering now! Go through your closets, cupboards, garage, shed and get rid of anything you don’t use and donate things you no longer need. Start packing up now and clear out space. Buyers like decluttered and depersonalized homes so they can imagine themselves living there.
- Address Repairs:Do you have repair projects you’ve been putting off? Now is the time to cross them off the to-do list. Spend a weekend fixing the leaky faucet, repairing the broken fence or patching holes. All of these fixes will pay off in the end when you avoid the buyers asking for repairs or credits to fix them.
- Paint: Painting your home is one of the best ROI (return on investment) upgrades you can make when preparing your home for sale. Freshening up the interior living spaces—including the kitchen, bedrooms, and bathrooms—with colors that are in style can increase the volume and quality of your offers. When painting to sell… its best to choose a light neutral tone.
- Create Curb Appeal: The exterior of your home is the first thing buyers see. Poor curb appeal can even prevent a potential buyer from coming inside the home. Think about fertilizing and weeding your lawn, planting some flowers, painting the front door and garage casings and replacing outdoor fixtures and light bulbs.
- Conduct a smell test: It’s important to think not just about how your house looks but also how it smells. Invite a friend or neighbor to come over, sniff around, and tell you the truth. “How does your home smell?”
- Do a deep clean: As you declutter and as you look for ways to deodorize, we would also recommend giving your home a good, thorough cleaning. You want to assure buyers that your home has been properly maintained, and that means cleaning from top to bottom. Hiring a professional cleaning service is a great option and we can help connect you with cleaners that can help.
Susan and I feel our value to you is helping you prepare your home to sell so you can get top dollar in today’s market. With our experience and award-winning team, we can also help you price your home right so you are not leaving any money on the table and netting the maximum potential for your home in today’s market.